16-80mm f4 or 18-55mm f2.8-4

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: 16-80mm f4 or 18-55mm f2.8-4

Luis Augusto wrote:

For some reason, all Fuji standard zooms are disappointing. All of them are overpriced if you buy them without a body. The 16-80, it's just straight out bad even according to Fuji's own MTF charts, and it's terribly overpriced. The 18-55 f/2.8-4 it's a much better than average kit lens and a good deal if you get it with the body. So I'd say that's the best choice. If you want to spend more, the 16-55 2.8 is overpriced, but at least it's decent.

We're still waiting for a good standard zoom, granted, designing a good one is quite challenging, but so far all of Fuji's fast standard zooms are worse than expected.

I shoot the 16-80. It isn't "straight out bad." Far from it. And purchased with a kit it isn't particularly overpriced.

The key is "worse than expected." Some here wanted Red Badge quality with a longer range, lower weight, and lower price. I would consider that a case of unrealistic expectations.

-- hide signature --
 nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jxj
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow