16-80mm f4 or 18-55mm f2.8-4

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nostatic
nostatic Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: 16-80mm f4 or 18-55mm f2.8-4

digital-freak wrote:

New to the Fujifilm world, would appreciate experienced opinions. I have an X-T4 on order with a 16-80mm and I'm 2nd guessing my decision. Would I be better off with the 18-55mm? I can't justify the 16-55mm 2.8 right now.

I've been happy with my 16-80. I use it for stills and video, the OIS is useful for me, and I end up shooting at the ends of the zoom range a fair amount. The 18-55 gets more consistent love around here, and is faster at the wide end and seems to be more consistent across the frame. The 16-80 doesn't have perfect corners so if you shoot a lot of landscape or architecture you might not be happy, particularly if you pixel peep. For a walk around lens though, I find the range to be quite useful and f4 works for me. You can get good subject isolation, especially if you go out to 80mm and shoot f4.

If you can extend to the 16-55 though, that with the X-T4 will be hard to beat. But it is more weight and more $. The IBIS changes the calculation if you like to shoot with stabilization (which I do). If I were buying today, I'd probably spring for the 16-55 with an X-T4. With the X-T3, I prefer having a lens with OIS. Ymmv.

-- hide signature --
 nostatic's gear list:nostatic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jxj
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow