Not quite understanding the need for the new 20mm...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
C.Eaton
C.Eaton Senior Member • Posts: 1,048
Re: Not quite understanding the need for the new 20mm...

MinAZ wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its great optically as has nearly every lens from Sony (and indeed from almost every manufacturer these days, third-party or otherwise). But its such a strange focal length for portraiture. I suppose you could make the argument its alright for environmental, but even then I am more likely to want to use the 24mm GM. And in a pinch, you could always use the 16-35 GM or the upcoming 12-24/2.8 (although again, I think even this lens is hardly necessary for portraiture).

Yes, I realize that you can do some extreme angles, even fisheye for stadium and other shots with a large environmental component using wide-angle exaggeration of the foreground. Still, I just don't feel tempted to add this to my collection for the purpose of portraiture, unless replacing one of my zooms (which I don't really want to).

Where does it say that this is a 'portrait' lens?

20mm would be the last choice for portraiture to be honest unless I was after a particular quirky look.

Bottom line is that this is a great lens for the money.

C.Eaton's gear list:C.Eaton's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6400 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow