How good is the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra for Nikon Lenses?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Klarno
Klarno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,233
Re: How good is the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra for Nikon Lenses?

When you use a Speedbooster on an MFT camera, it gives results very close to using an FF lens on an APS-C camera.

If you get a cheap APS-C camera (the older Sony NEX models—even the still pretty good NEX-7–are going for <$200 these days, and you can pick up the ones without viewfinders for very little) and a Speedbooster to fit that camera, you’ll have results that are very close to using an FF lens on an FF camera.

I use the second option myself, because it will give you pretty much the field of view the lens was designed for—unless you’re just that into telephoto lenses. In which case, why bother with a 0.71x focal reducer to begin with? Though adapting DX glass like Sigma’s 18-35 f/1.8 is somewhat more interesting.

As for image quality, using the Metabones Speedbooster gives fantastic results, every bit as good as if the lens were adapted directly to an FF camera of the same resolution, and I would trust it with the best optics out there. But I only like using native lenses on MFT, just knowing how much is being thrown away adapting lenses to smaller formats.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow