With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
VBLondon Senior Member • Posts: 1,682
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

leonski wrote:

It's nutty to even THINK about discarding a perfectly good camera and platform (Z7)

because somebody doesn't think it's 'pro'.

I agree with you. And BTW? My '6, while not 'pro' certainly produces some excellent output.

I think it will be more driven by the mirrorless market (ie. Sony competition) than DSLR perceptions of "pro-ness".

I agree with the qualities of the Z6&7 platform. The body size/style is ideal IMHO - it contains the best sensor and EVF, the best memory card tech, and ever-improving AF.

I like the ways the Z6-7 pair isn't like the D750-D850. The D750 is a downgrade from the D850 in a number of important areas other than resolution - AF module, controls, OVF etc. That's been preserved in the D780.

I was really happy that I didn't need to buy a Z7 to get the best Nikon MILC hardware in the Z6, making it just a sensor resolution vs speed choice - like the old days of "D1h" vs "D1x". The Sony A7iii has (I think) a downgraded EVF from the A7Riii's. The Z6 and Z7 share the same EVF.

I guess Nikon will have to make a bigger body with 2 card slots and a bigger battery and all the stuff pros want. I just hope they continue to fit the best tech they can into the smaller Z6/7 platform.

They started the Z system with compact bodies, I hope it doesn't inflate in size to the point you have to get big bodies encrusted with pro bits one doesn't want to get the best basics of sensor, EVF, AF.  Sony's A9ii and A7Riv are still compact (similar in size to the Zs but heavier..) but the Panasonic S1 line is not what I personally want in MILC.

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Z6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow