Advice for a macro photography kit

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VicentePG New Member • Posts: 8
Advice for a macro photography kit

Hi,all

I would appreciate your advice for a macro photography kit.

Background:

• I consider myself a beginner. As part of my work, I take photos of insects and the plants they feed on. I have been doing it for about a year, using a bridge camera.
  • I have discovered that I really like it and would like a kit that would allow me to progress. One of my main motivations is to get magnification ratios above 1:1. I am aware that this is an advanced technique, so I would practice first with a 1x lens.
  • I have a budget of 2500-3000€. My main priority is to get a good kit, more important than reducing the cost
  • I have been advised that lenses are more important than the camera, and have considered this when evaluating my options.

Preferred option right now:

Canon EOS 90D and a Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens, and later, a Canon MP-E 65mm f / 2.8 1-5x Macro lens. The main reason is that I’ve read great things about those two lenses, although I would prefer a more compact mirrorless body. I have considered a Canon EOS M6 Mark II with an EF adapter, but you can’t use its EVF and a flash at the same time. I think that having a viewfinder is a must in macro photography. Am I right?

Alternative option #1:

A mirrorless camera with a viewfinder, a 1:1 lens, and a macro magnification lens (Raynox or similar). The Olympus ED 60mm f/2.8 macro lens seems very popular. I could combine it with an Olympus E-M5 mark III. I also like the Fujifilm XT-30 with an XF 80mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro. My main concern here is the loss in quality and functionality with a magnification lens versus a dedicated 1-5X macro lens. This aspect is very important to me.

Alternative option #2:

A Sony or Nikon mirrorless, a 1:1 macro lens and the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro lens. I haven't researched this option much, really. Here again my doubts focus on how the Laowa lens compares with the Canon 65mm 1-5X in quality and functionality. There are other Laowa lenses with a 2X factor with Sony mounts, although I would prefer a larger magnification.

I don't know if I'm missing some combination of lenses and bodies through adapters. I would only be interested in this if there is no loss of quality and functionality.

Sorry for the long post, and for my use of English, I'm not a native speaker

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow