Software as a part of lens design

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,994
Software as a part of lens design

When optimizing the design of a lens there are many parameters to consider. And if you try to make all parameters outstanding, the lenses tends to be ridiculously large, heavy and expensive. Today you have 50/1.4 lenses that weights a kilo.

I am little amazed by this development. I assumed that better lens materials and easier to make aspheric surface together with fast and advanced software calculations could make small outstanding lenses, even at full aperture. But, I really do not see those.

What I sometimes see though are lenses that needs to be corrected with software, that are small and outstanding.

Hmm .. I am not sure where my rambling is going. I had a question in mind when starting

But, I think my main thought is, if it really is needed, with today's advanced optics, that superior lenses either are very large or needs to be corrected by software? Could you not make small, compact gems today?

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow