Help needed - Anyone has/had both GX85 and A7iii?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Parshua New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Help needed - Anyone has/had both GX85 and A7iii?

goshigoo wrote:

I have been thinking for long time of moving from m43 (GX85 + 14/20/45/7-14/35-100) to A7iii (35 + 85 f/1.8, and now perhaps 20 f/1.8 and Tamron 70-180 or wait for A7iv this year).

I also have 5D3 + 35 f/1.4 II, 135 f/2 and 70-200 f/4 - However I rarely take them out because of the size.

I love the photos taken by my 5D3; the photos from my GX85 are ok given its portability.

As I already have 2 system so I do not want to add another system.

I would like to ask for those who owns both cameras; could you share your opinions after moving to A7iii?

Obviously I am not able to ask this question in m43 forum as I will be branded troll for sure

Thank you!

I don't have the GX85, but plenty of other m43 gear, listed below. I also have a Sony A7 III with the two Tamron zooms and a Samyang 35mm/2.8.

My take on it is that if you are a pro and the size/weight doesn't really matter, go for the Sony. You will absolutely hate the camera coming from m43, but will love the IQ, battery life and the insane AF. That IQ also only really shines when you begin shooting in low light btw. In good light, the results will rarely be much different, although A7 III will have DR and color saturation advantage.

But if you use your gear casually, you will regret it. Even with the Tamrons, the A7 III is quite a bit larger and heavier, hence more noticeable and burdensome.

The A7 III can replace your Canon though, with caveats.

Parshua's gear list:Parshua's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow