dxo PhotoLab: Why does the generated preview look worse than the original RAW?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 4,964
Re: dxo PhotoLab: Why does the generated preview look worse than the original RAW?

Superkokode wrote:

Hi everyone

I'm new to PhotoLab, after switching from LR (away from the subscription). I now have a very basic issue: When looking through unedited RAW files (either in the PhotoLibrary or in Customize), it takes a second to generate a preview in which the original RAW is still visible, and then applies something and everything (especially skin tones) go red. Sure, RAW files tend to be a bit bland, but this goes from RAW to wayyy over-saturated. All the people in the shots look like sun-burnt high-blood-pressure alcoholics.

I'm not sure if this is just a case of getting the white-balance correct or if there's more at play. My screens are calibrated and I've seen this happen on two different computers.

Anyone else had similar troubles?

With any third party software, in fact with any software, if one wants good color you need to use a colorchecker card of some sort and create your own profile.

Cant remember how that was done when I trialed DXO, but it works for me with C1. Don't even need it much now.

When I trialed DXO, I thought that it had very good color rendering ability.

But, get a colorchecker passport and learn how to use it in your software. After all, that is why one uses a third party software rather than the native camera one, that and for me the awful user interface of the current Nikon software.

May sound flippant, but it works.

Good Luck.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow