OT. Anyone here have the Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 ? Interested on know how .......

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Aleo Veuliah
OP MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,758
Re: OT. Anyone here have the Panasonic Lumix FZ80/82 ? Interested on know how .......

mmartel wrote:

I am not an FZ80 user, but I considered it briefly as a second body/backup/weather sealed option/LR telezoom alternative to use with my main micro four thirds body. Ultimately I chose in favor of the FZ300 (FZ330 in some parts of the world) rather than the FZ80. I also considered Panasonic FZ 1000, 1000ii, 2500, and Sony RX10 ii and RX10iii models as alternative all-in-one/bridge camera options.

I really wanted something dust and weather sealed, which eliminated several options. And since this wouldn't be my main camera, I wasn't willing to spend as much on the Sony RX10 models, despite the lure of their better sensors and very good lenses.

In addition, this article was quite influential in my decision to go with the FZ300 vs the FZ80: http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2017/08/panasonic-fz300-vs-fz80-bridge-camera.html

It comes out very decidedly in favor the FZ300.

I got mine in like new condition (it was an Amazon return item) for $349 USD last summer.

In my opinion, the FZ300 is an extremely solid camera, especially when shooting RAW and keeping ISOs near base.

The lens is extremely versatile and the sensor is kept to a reasonable 12 MP which IMO helps keep output size and quality in a much better range than the competing 18MP+ options based on the 1/2.3" sensor format. It is a pleasure to use with great ergos, operating speed, buffer, and an excellent EVF.

IMO, final image output is a touch below what I'd get in most circumstances with my m43 and 14-140mm 3.5-5.6 ii lens combination within the same focal range, although as with many cross-format comparisons, you probably have to be pixel peeping or shooting in difficult lighting circumstances to see really significant differences at ordinary viewing sizes (i.e., 1920x1080 monitor or up to 8x10" / A4 print sizes). The m43 sensor offers a bit more dynamic range, a bit less noise, a bit richer color, more pleasing background blur, and potential for slightly larger print sizes under the same shooting circumstances. But I also find the quality of images from the FZ300 perfectly satisfying under all but extreme strenuous shooting circumstances (i.e., difficult light) and I'm perfectly happy to shoot with it outdoors in decent light, or even indoors ... as long as I can bounce flash from the hotshoe.

I really can't recommend it highly enough if you're considering an inexpensive, weather-sealed bridge cam as an off-day companion for your "other camera."

Let me know if you'd like some samples or more info.

Thank you very much for opinion and FZ300 sugestion.

I will consider that camera instead of the FZ80.

Best regards.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow