85mm 1.8 S-Line. Dual motors AF.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
intport Junior Member • Posts: 44
85mm 1.8 S-Line. Dual motors AF.

Sorry for posting more about 85mm 1.8, this forum should be exhausted about that. I know about that other thread recently.

Now, to the question:

I find the 85mm 1.8 S-Line too inaccurate for AF (specially AF-C Auto Area eye-AF) even in natural light and find the dual motors just spinning too much (obviously my af setting is to fastest) when trying to zero in on the eyes with a subject that isn't moving that much (I'm doing AF-on press plus shutter with IBIS off at 1/320 1.8 no flash on Z6, but i have also tried focusing with the half shutter press), no difference after FW 3.0. It is perfectly accurate with 3 seconds timer for the shutter though (focus priority shutter for both AF-C and AF-S). It also misses the eye in single point way too often in handheld (even in half body shots)

I also find the dual motors too noisy for video when the system is coming from out focus to focus, at close distances.

So, thus far what are people experiences with this lens in terms of accuracy for eye-AF? (just trying to compare other's experiences with mine)

(lens is as good as people say it is, maybe not so much the AF/MF switch and cheap looking hood)

I wanted to say something about my experience purchasing from Amazon as well so it may provide some insights to people about to buy from them (Amazon as the seller): I bought in new condition for 750 ish USD but came with no warranty card inside and Nikon USA has failed to acknowledge the eligibility for warranty for it just with the serial number. So i will have to return the thing. Therefore be advised that B&H is better (although B&H sent me a deffective hard disk recently and wanted to give amazon a try again for lenses... So these retailers cannot be trusted these days).

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow