Astrophotography with the A7R4 and FE 200-600mm G OSS

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jimmy Grewal New Member • Posts: 1
Astrophotography with the A7R4 and FE 200-600mm G OSS

I've been trying out the A7R4 with a Sony FE 200-600mm G lens for photographing deep sky objects and have had quite good results. Earlier this week I took 15 exposures of 3 minutes each of the Orion Nebula at 600mm, f/6.3, ISO 320 and stacked them.

The Orion & Running Man nebulae photographed in Dubai using the Sony A7R4 with 200-600mm lens

The final image was edited in Photoshop. The ISO invariance of the camera helped on this occasion as I was able to expose for the bright core of the nebula but still bring out the shadow detail and nebulosity. I would have liked to have stacked more exposures, but it was a bit cloudy and I could only get 15 exposures without clouds in them.

I used Sony's Imaging Edge Desktop software on my Mac to tether and control the camera, and that worked quite well. Using the focusing tools in the software I was able to achieve almost perfect focus, and to use it's BULB + intervalometer mode to capture the photos.

The next time I go out to photograph this object, I will try using the 4-exposure pixel shift mode (30 second exposures) to see if it makes any difference in color detail and noise. I'm using a guided star tracker so it may work.

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow