Square filters VS post-prod (and circular filters)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
polslinux Junior Member • Posts: 32
Square filters VS post-prod (and circular filters)

Hello all,

I recently bought a Nikon D7500 and, given that I love shooting landscapes and sunsets, I thought about buying a filter holder and some 100m filters (GND, ND).

I've read tons of stuff online and it seems that nowadays the way to go is shooting multiple exposures and blending them all together in postprod. It seems that with this approach one can get the best result.

I already do some postprod using Rawtherapee and GIMP, but I'd like to keep it at minimum because I work all day with a PC and I'd prefer not to spend even more time in front of a screen if not really needed.

I think I'm more inclined to go with a holder because I don't know what the future will reserve me. I mean for now I'm happy with my D7500 but what about in 5y? Maybe I'll move to FF reflex or even FF ML? Then I'd have to sell (hopefully) all filters and buy new ones. But with a holder I'd be future-proof.

OTH I like hiking and shooting landscapes and sunsets, so a holder is quite bulky in heavy to bring around, especially when flying with economy flights around europe.

Having said that, what's your opinion? Is it a good idea to invest in  100x150 GND and ND or should I go with circular ND and HDR/blending?

polslinux's gear list:polslinux's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow