150-600 C or 100-400 MKI

Started Feb 23, 2020 | Questions thread
mikebinok
mikebinok Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: 150-600 C or 100-400 MKI

With Sigma (or any third party) lenses, I always worry a bit about future firmware changes Canon may make that could affect autofocus or other features of the reverse-engineered Sigma. I have no recent experience, but I understand that Sigma has available a dock that allows updating lens firmware that may make this an unrealistic concern.

I used a Canon 100-400 from 2003 til about 2012, when I mostly stopped doing that type of photography for a couple of years and was always delighted with it, though mine did gather enough dust in the front element that I was embarrassed for people to see it! I might have had slight light loss, but never noticed any effect on functionality.

when I started doing nature photography regularly again in 2017, I tried one of the Sigma 150-600s, and didn’t like the weight and function, so returned it and bought the Mk II Canon lens, and love it! Almost as much as I love my huge, heavy, and unaffordable 200-400!

I rambled on at length, if I’d cut to the chase, I’d have recommended the old Model Canon if a new model one is out of reach!

mikebinok's gear list:mikebinok's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow