***Mini Challenge #577*** Results

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 6,776
***Mini Challenge #577*** Results

First of all, thank you to everyone who contributed to the challenge, there were lots of excellent submissions this time.

Let's start with the honourable mentions in alphabetical order of poster's name...

David's [Abiquiuense] shy elk female. I love this image - I wondered about the OOF foliage being distracting and tried various crops but none of them improved the image one jot. Lovely.

Bill Borne's view of the Nevada Salt Flats reminds me of one of the Jack Vettriano "Bluebird" images - look them up and you'll see what I mean: the odd disconnect between the people and their surroundings is just his style.

Greg's [Birddogman] image of one of his dogs bounding along wet sand is very reminiscent of holiday moments on the north east coast of my own country. Brought back a lot of childhood memories.

I chose to include this second example of Greg's work for much the same reason; it reminds me of boyhood holidays, but there's an additional reason to choose this one - it's a simply perfect moment in time, beautifully composed and cleverly timed so that dog and 'white horse' have just begun to run at the same time. Great work.

DeGijob's image of Thwaite in North Yorkshire is the perfect 'walking holiday' image. I know this place very well indeed - have sat and drunk coffee at the same table outside Keartons. Is the yellow bicycle still hung on the wall? Top holiday idea.

Jerry045's shot of the tower at Pisa is a tourist brochure image. Curiously, images of the tower are not that common in this forum and all the ones I can remember have poor weather - I named one such image as the winner in a challenge some years back and it was chucking it down with rain.

Mike Geier's view across a lake is stunning.

Karen's 'beer on the table' image [She's the better half of Phil and Karen, collectively known as PMUK] is transportable to any holiday venue you care to mention.

Ulop's [Ulrich] Danish coastal view embodies peaceful and tranquil holidays beautifully. A favourite for me.

Val Bueno in Iceland - what a thing to see.

The images above were all exhibits and only eligible for special mention, but the next three were entries that stood out in my judgement...

This is another of Mike Geier's efforts - shot in an Alaskan rain forest. It's quite lovely.

Minaj's husband, Jerry, grinning because he's reduced Jan Sibelius to a heap of bits.

Val Bueno posted this panorama - really cool image.

Now to the places...

Third place goes to Bill Borne for his Yellowstone image...

This is such an accomplished piece of photography - still cutting it Wild Man.

Second place had to be Greg's mad dog on the beach image...

Why would you go on a sea side camping holiday if not to let your dog run wild. This is classy stuff.

The winner - and notably so - is Degijon's superb capture of snow geese flying against a background of giant mountains.

You could stand and watch sights like this for ever and a day. I congratulate you on a wonderful image Degijon and award you the honour of running the next challenge.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow