X-T4: a great camera, BUT...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,915
X-T4: a great camera, BUT...

Unfortunately, from my personal point of view, amid the many improvements, the following design changes, all driven by the desire to be the best "jack of all trades" hybrid stills/video camera, are steps backwards.

1) Fully-articulated "flippy" screen. To me, for photo use, that is a step backwards w.r.t. the previous (X-T1, 2, 3 and X-H1) screen. More cumbersome to use, potentially more fragile, and most of all, it interferes with L-brackets and tripod use.

2) Loss of metering switch, replaced by "Still / Movie" switch. I switch between EVALUATIVE metering (in Aperture Priority) and SPOT metering (in Manual Exposure) a lot. Having to assign a function button (or menu dive) for that is a step backwards. And I NEVER shoot video, so that non-reprogrammable switch is now just permanently "dead" to me.

3) Incidentally, I also hardly ever use exposure compensation (EC), and to me, having a non-locking dedicated EC dial is just asking for trouble (i.e., potential unintentional misadjustments). Admittedly, this is not a "new" feature of the X-T4, but rather a continuation of the X-T line design scheme. Still, the button+dial combination of the X-H1 (like most DSLRs') is way better for me, and I wish they had changed it. The reason I rarely use EC is that I'm either in fairly "easy" lighting conditions, where Evaluative does the trick without any need for compensation, or else I switch to Manual Mode and I SPOT meter where I want, thereby ensuring that the exposure (i) is exactly how I want it, and (ii) stays put as I fire multiple shots, even when changing my framing.

Oh, well, still a great camera, I'm sure. It just goes to prove that no matter what you do, you can't possibly please everyone.

I just wish there were more "dedicated" PHOTO cameras these days, without all the small concessions made to VIDEO users.

Marco

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow