Not Rocket Science (some buying tips, forum tips, lens tips)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 1,624
Not Rocket Science (some buying tips, forum tips, lens tips)

I know for me, I've spent way too much time agonizing over specs, looking at benchmarks for lenses, reviews, and hunting down forum threads on items of interest all while trying to predict the future of what Canon or another mfg might bring to the table to hedge my bets accordingly.

Not to say it's all vanity, but it's largely vanity.

Some age old sayings apply to purchasing decisions: You get what you pay for. No free lunch.

I'll add, you can buy things based off captain obvious.

Some examples:

RF 35mm vs say an EF 35mm L; the former will be cheaper, lighter, but not quite deliver the same IQ. If cost is an issue, you should buy the RF 35mm. If size is an issue, buy the RF35mm, if you're okay with compromises third party is an option.

R vs RP? Once again, there's a HUGE difference between 4FPS and 5FPS in AI-Servo. DR? Yeah, it's a thing. That 1-stop in EV sensitivity or ISO performance between the two sensors? Yup.

Then again the RP is cheaper, and lighter. These are all not rocket science, I could've read the marketing materials and specsheet and called it a day.

Now some other thoughts; spend some time in a local best buy and handle something if you can, rather than try to read reviews online.

I've tried going cheap on the R with adapted lenses like the Cheap I can't remember the name of the company that knocks off old Canon patents, but they made a EF 50mm f/1.4 that is supposedly sharp (it is, for what it is) but guess what? No AF adapted on the R. 70-300 DO? Yeah the IQ is iffy. Tamron 100-400 adapted? AF is a bit slow. You get what you pay for.

It's better to spend money on optics than a new body, unless that new body gives you something you need, not want, usually.

Spending time on forums is great for killing time but I'm happier having been away from them.

I've look at non-Canon options before and there's a reason they are the market leader, still. They get things right and have a wide range of options at the right price. Seems like alot to ask for, yet apparently it is if your name is Sony and your bodies stop down before firing, have bad color/ergonomics and lack similar options in corner cases for optics, yet, it's those corner cases that make the difference.

There is nothing new under the sun. Try to buy things on sale and use common sense folks. I could've bought everything I had now, without the agony.

Oh, and waiting to buy something? If you can't afford something, it's not worth going into debt (done it, not worth it). But if you have the money and are agonizing? Life is short. Buy the time, wait, edit: by the time (hey you're buying time you could say, trading time for money or vice versa) you wait for the next new thing / price drop, there is another new thing. Meanwhile you've missed out on say 10 months that you could've enjoyed that RF 28-70, EOS R, whatever.

Live life more, agonize less over things that are pretty obvious is my advice.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Samyang 21mm F1.4 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow