The lesser known disadvantage of using faster F stop to compensate for the crop factor on APS C cams

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 3,411
The lesser known disadvantage of using faster F stop to compensate for the crop factor on APS C cams

I've played with the XT 2 with the 56mm f1.2, and I've come to this conclusion:

F1.2 is a pain the neck to use with flash. And doubly so with the Fuji cams which have a higher base ISO than other cams.

For most of the day outdoor in places that are sunny, you will be forced to use HSS with super high shutter speed, making all but high power strobes nearly useless, especially when you put on multi layers modifiers, and even then high power strobes like the AD600 would even struggle in bright sunlight at 1/8000, that is if you're not already overexposing without flash.

You can say "just get an ND filter", good ND filters are expensive, and themselves are pain to use, variable ND filter can cause color shift no matter how good they are.

And I shudder to think about using strobes on Fuji cams with the up coming 50mm f1.0, wide open.

People say that APS C can compensate with faster glasses and compete with full frame, well, here's one big caveat not many people talk about.

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow