FE 85 mm/1.8 -- pair with A7iii or a6400?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jurrasic New Member • Posts: 13
FE 85 mm/1.8 -- pair with A7iii or a6400?

I'm looking for a one-camera-one-lens portrait setup to complement my wide angle setup (Leica Q). And I've come to like Sony FE 85 mm 1.8 based on its price, weight and performance. But I'm not sure if I should pair the lens with a full frame body, such as A7iii, or an APS-C body (so equivalent of 127 mm focal length), most likely a6400.

I'm not a pro photographer by any means. I shoot mostly family, friends and travel. More than half of the photos will be children. That is why Sony's autofocusing is so appealing. I do shoot RAW and do post-processing in Lightroom. In fact coming from the film era as a manual-focus user, Sony APS-C machine is both foreign and exciting to me.

Would appreciate any comments about the comparison in terms of IQ, weight, autofocus speed, and value.  I have never used portrait lens extensively so I can't say for sure if I prefer 85 mm or 127 mm better.  Thus any other setup recommendation, or ideas about  children photography is also appreciated.

jurrasic's gear list:jurrasic's gear list
Leica Q
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow