Camera Brand Reliability

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
millardmt Regular Member • Posts: 328
Camera Brand Reliability

Even though I have found myself progressively disenchanted with the US publication "Consumer Reports" (CR) over the years, I continue to pay their annual online subscription fee because, very occasionally, I have found the publication to be a source of useful information.

For the first time in months, I logged into their web site tonight and typed in "cameras" in their site's seach window. (Mirrorless Cameras)

I was frankly astonished at their conclusions.

I don't want to run afoul of any copyright restrictions, so I'll refrain from recapitulating their "overal ratings scores" by type, brand and model. But I will summarize their "reliability"* rankings by camera brand:

Canon - 9/10

Fujifilm - 8/10

Panasonic - 8/10

Nikon - 7/10

Sony - 6/10

Olympus - 4/10

*-(Results in the [above] chart are gathered from Consumer Reports’ 2018 and 2019 Winter Surveys of 3,974 mirrorless cameras, owned by members who purchased a new device between 2010 and 2019.

Our predicted brand reliability ratings are based on a statistical model that estimates problem rates within the first 4 years of ownership, for mirrorless cameras that are not covered by an extended warranty or service contract. Higher ratings are indicative of better reliability. Brands receiving a red or orange rating cannot be recommended by CR at this time.)

Marc

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow