Yongnuo YN685N HSS (Auto FP) solution

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Hugh Barstead New Member • Posts: 20
Yongnuo YN685N HSS (Auto FP) solution

I thought I would post this for the two or three other people on this forum to whom it might be of interest.

The Yongnuo YN685N speedlight has an odd problem on the Nikon Z6. High speed synch (Auto FP) fails to synch between 1/320 to 1/500 of a second but works normally at speeds faster (or slower) than that.

Fortunately Yongnuo has released firmware version 1.40 which fixes the problem.

Beware, however. The version of the firmware I downloaded from the HKYongnuo site all but “bricked” the flash. After several attempts I was able to restore the old firmware (1.38) and the unit resumed function.

I emailed the company and within 48 hours they responded by sending me copies of the 1.40 firmware for the YN685N and the 1.12 firmware for the YN622N-TX. The trigger is required to perform the update, there is no USB port on the flash.

While the version numbers, number of bytes and creation date of the firmware they sent me is identical to the files I downloaded, the emailed version installed without issue on the first attempt.

I tried many times to install the web site version, re-downloading it several times, resetting hardware etc. to no avail. What the difference is between the web site version vs. the emailed version is, I have no idea. All I know is that with the successfully installed firmware the HSS function now works on the Z6 at all speeds.

A brief internet search revealed that I was not alone with these difficulties but also that others have performed the upgrade with the downloaded version without issue. Since there is very little on the net about the Z6 and the YN685N I thought I would put this up for the rare individual who might be interested.

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow