Wedding photographers, is the convenience in zooms worth it compared to using primes?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MftHobbyist Forum Member • Posts: 51
Wedding photographers, is the convenience in zooms worth it compared to using primes?

I've been heavily researching in which route I'd like to go to. Whether I should invest money in zoom lenses (28-75 and the 70-200) or invest in primes such as a 30, 50, 85, 135. Shooting with primes definitely captures the look I am going for; however I fear the inconvenience of switching lenses constantly throughout the day will take a toll. Not to mention, may probably cause me to miss a shot as a novice.

If you're a wedding photographer who has experienced both, can you please chime in? Im struggling trying to figure out which lens to first purchase.

a73 and a a6400 user. Currently only have lenses for my crop sensor: Sigma 16 and 56, and a 18-105 f4 zoom. I currently have my eyes on a Tamron 28-75 if I go the zoom route, or a Samyang 85mm if I go the prime route.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow