E-M1.3 – Initial Quick Reactions to SAF/CAF Performance Compared to the E-M1.2 - Low Illumination

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,899
E-M1.3 – Initial Quick Reactions to SAF/CAF Performance Compared to the E-M1.2 - Low Illumination

My evaluations were primarily based on use of the 300mm f4 with the MC20 and were done inside my home. I wanted to check speed of focus and the ability of CAF to change focus as I moved the camera toward objects of different distances under low illumination conditions.

SAF focus in very low illumination appears to be considerably better. The E-M1.3 would focus on my darkened sofa/chairs where the E-M1.2 would fail to focus (MC20+300mm, f8, ¼, at ISO 6400). It also focused more quickly in low illumination when both could focus.

There did not appear to be any difference in the E-M.1.2 and the E-M1.3 in CAF performance, either focused at f8, ¼, ISO 3200 with the above lens and they appeared to correct focus as I moved them to other somewhat better illuminated objects.

There was one surprising result. When Frame Rate was set to high on both cameras, there was a very obvious dimming of the EVF for both SAF and CAF.

However, this dimming of the EVF appeared to have no effect on the SAF focus speed at low illumination levels.

Unfortunately CAF performance was considerably worse with both the E-M1.2 and E-M1.3 when the frame rate was set to High. I think the higher frame rate may reduce the PDAF sensors ability to measure phase differences when there is little illumination, but it could simply be that the higher frame rate uses more system resources.

I will probably have no opportunity to compare the cameras or Frame Rate settings in better illumination for some time. The weather was beautiful for February in the northeast for the three days before the E-M1.3 arrived. Unfortunately, winter, clouds and rain have returned today which is why these evaluations were done inside.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow