Olympus vs. The Competition

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mmditter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,008
Olympus vs. The Competition

I’ve been pretty much away from here for a minute. A lot has happened over the years, and I’m wondering, what is the general consensus in the photography world on how current Olympus gear stacks up against the other guys?

I joined DPReview back in the early 2,000’s. I bought an E-300 2 lens kit. I was very happy with that.  At the time, I thought it was way better than the Nikon D50 and Canon Rebel, and was a much better value.

Those were the Phil Askey days at DPREVIEW, and I soon found that Phil was not a big Olympus fan. It was frustrating to read his reviews, and also to read forum posts where Canon and Nikon guys  would rip Olympus.

I wasn’t a blind fan- I saw the weaknesses that eventually killed off the E-Series. But there was no denying that Olympus had some good ideas and that their gear back then had some big advantages over the competition. I still like the look of the images I get from my E-300 and E-500. Those Kodak sensors may have sucked at high-ISO, but they were really good in other ways.

These days, I don’t see the same bashing of Olympus. The OM-D bodies seem to get good reviews. I don’t own one (yet), but it’d nice to think that I wouldn’t need to be so thick-skinned if I were to buy one.

Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow