So far I am very happy with the P950

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
SchmokusFocus New Member • Posts: 1
So far I am very happy with the P950

The P950 seems to take at least as sharp a picture as the P1000 if not in fact sharper, based on a superficial comparison I did.  Note that the P1000 I only  tested very superficially at the same camera store where i bought my P950, I dont own a P1000.  But generally, a 125x zoom will probably have more tradeoffs than a 83x zoom, the sales person at the camera store told me.

I love the 4x up to 120fps movie mode, very crisp despite the 480 x 640 resolution, but plenty good for the task. Great if you shoot wild life, e.g. birds flying etc. Beware that you cannot zoom or focus while in that mode, though i was told this restriction is pretty common in this class of cameras for high speed mode.

Weight is just right, not too heavy, not too light, holds nicely in my right hand.

For 4k mode get the fastest SD card that the camera can support (it may not support the very fastest V90 speed, but I was told it supports up to the V30 speed, but do your own research). I am saying this because in 4k mode, i once got some jerky performance (perhaps a less than 30 fps framerate) but later on i could not substantiate that on a different shot. But I would say dont skimp on the SD card speed, but also make sure which SD card is the fastest the camera can utilize.

This is my first camera with an electronic view finder, and I am very impressed indeed ! much much better than the P900 in that respect.  I am definitely sold on the idea of an EVF, it comes with so many pros that I think that Mirrorless for SLRs is the future no doubt.

I recommend you to turn off the digital zoom in the configuration menu (and so did the staff at the camera store). I found that I consistently get better results if I zoom to the maximum optical and instead zoom in on the already-taken image. Digital zoom likely creates interpolation effects that muddy the picture up. I see it more of a gimmick.

SchmokusFocus's gear list:SchmokusFocus's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950
Nikon Coolpix P950
16 megapixels • 3.2 screen • 24 – 2000 mm (83.3×)
Announced: Jan 7, 2020
SchmokusFocus's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P950
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow