Thoughts/Opinions on best focal length for panoramas

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 410
Thoughts/Opinions on best focal length for panoramas

I'm fairly new to shooting panoramas. Currently I'm using my Fuji X-T1 with an 8mm Samyang/Nodal Ninja/PTGui to create 360 panoramas for virtual tours. Truth be told, it's rather easy and rote, and though I can appreciate that benefit for commercial work, it also leaves me bored artistically and wanting to branch out and expand a bit by taking more traditional panoramas.

Suggestions on lenses to use? On the wider end I have the XF-14, 23, 27, and 35 (all APS-C crop factor). Also have a legacy Minolta 58 and some other larger lenses along with some zooms, but don't think I need that kind of resolution for now and primes seem the more logical choice. Reading elsewhere that 35mm or 50'ish FF is a good choice as to minimize distortion, so that suggests the XF-23 or 35.

Two types of subjects. City/Landscapes and interiors. Probably with an aspect ratio of 2:1, maybe 3:1 for now.

I'm sure I can investigate further for how many degrees to set the rotator, and number of shots necessary, but my busy/lazy self figured I might try asking here first with hopes that someone already in the know will give me a shortcut - or refer me to a good website/video.

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow