Best portraiture prime for EOS-R

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
stevvi Regular Member • Posts: 169
Re: Best portraiture prime for EOS-R

Dexter75 wrote:

stevvi wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

If you were a portrait photographer, you would know you don't change your lens based on your models face. Thats why I asked to see some of your work. I have shot hundreds of models with a 50mm, hundreds with an 85mm and many with a 135mm. Every photographer has their main lens and it doesn't change based on your models face. The only time you will change lenses is really how much of the background you want to see, how much you want in focus, how much space you have to shoot. For most my career, I used an 85 in the studio and a 135 for location shoots. Sometimes both on the same shoot. No one would ever notice that change of lenses on the model. Most the time I stick to one lens and zoom with my feet.

Aaah... thank you for the straight reply. I asked the question as I'm interested to see how other people do things so I can learn. So... can I assume that you feel that some faces don't actually look better depending on the focal length used (within reason!) as no-one can see the difference anyway?

Composition and angles can do a ton more than your lens. For instance, shoot a model (or pretty much anyone) head on with their face, shoulders and hips squared to the camera and you will find it to be an unflattering angle. Face will look more squared out, shoulders broaden out etc...Now turn your model slightly to one side or the other, face turned towards the camera and take the photo again. It will change their appearance and sometimes drastically, its a more flattering angle. This is where the saying of someone having a "good side" comes from. Thats all the free tips for today

Thanks for the somewhat basic info   Again... can I assume that you feel that some faces don't actually look better depending on the focal length used (within reason!) as no-one can see the difference anyway?

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow