Best portraiture prime for EOS-R

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
stevvi Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: Best portraiture prime for EOS-R

Dexter75 wrote:

stevvi wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

stevvi wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

It depends on the face too. Some faces look better with a 50mm.

A portrait photographer doesn’t change his lens based on his models face. That’s where knowing how to pose your model, lighting, composition and shooting angles come into play and knowing how to do those things effectively is what separates a great portrait photographer from a decent one.

Wouldn't the photographer use all the tools at his/her disposal to make the model look as good as they possibly can within the remit of the job?

That would mean that every portrait photographer would have lenses at all the major focal lengths from 35mm to 200mm, most don't.

No it wouldn't. It means the photographer would use all the tools at their disposal to make the model look as good as they possibly can within the remit of the job, as I clearly wrote. Refusing to change lens to suit the model appears to be lazy and not doing the job to the best of the photographer's ability.

That would also mean that the success of the shoot depended on the lens, that's never the case.

No it doesn't. It means the photographer will use the best lens he/she has available for the job. It doesn't mean the shoot will be a failure if they use a less than optimal lens... but why they'd do that on purpose by not changing lenses to suit the model is beyond me.

Give a quality photographer who understands lighting, composition and how to frame a model one lens and he will get great photos of any model. Give a bad photographer who doesn't understand lighting, composition or best angles to shoot a model all the lenses you want and you still won't get good photos. I understand this is a gear website and that's how most the photographers here approach photography, but Its not about the gear, it never is.

This bit has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked.

Please post some of your work as well. Since so many in here seem so knowledgeable about how to shoot portraits, letts see samples of your work. Thanks

Please can you answer my question without trying to deflect. My ability as a photographer has nothing to do with what I was asking you about your methods.

I assume you are only qualified to talk for yourself and not other photographers so when you say "A portrait photographer doesn’t change his lens based on his models face" I assume that means "You don't change your lens based on the models face". Judging from the way you completely avoided my question above is it safe to also assume that you don't use all the tools at your disposal to make the model look as good as you possibly can within the remit of the job? If so, why?

 stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow