My copy of the Venus Laowa 15mm F4 1:1 Macro, tested with a resolution chart (APS-C)

Started Feb 24, 2020 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Senior Member • Posts: 1,624
My copy of the Venus Laowa 15mm F4 1:1 Macro, tested with a resolution chart (APS-C)

Hi

I tested my copy with a resolution chart. Please find a detailed description of my setup and procedure in this thread.

This is of course not a test under scientific lab conditions. It is what I was able to do at home w/o buying any special equipment other than a resolution chart. The test chart was lit a little uneven due to my conditions, this is not the lens's fault.

The biggest drawback when testing one single copy of a lens is a missing benchmark, as explained in the post cited above.

I like the lens - but I hope Laowa will bring out a smaller APS-C version as they did in January with the 65 mm f/2.8 APO Ultra Macro to take advantage of APS-C weight and size savings!

Key data of my test (see link above):

• Camera: Fujifilm X-T20
  • jpegs were developed with darktable 3.0 because I found the quality of the patterns better in this case than OOC. No lens correction was applied.
  • Lens mount: Nikon F, used with a Kipon adapter.
  • Distance to test chart: 39.8 cm.

My conclusion:

• The lens is sharp, I did not detect any decentration, and I believe I have a really good copy
  • The sweet spot in terms of sharpness in the center is f/5.6; my system resolves about 3000-3200 lph (I may be wrong - this is as far as I can assess that as a non-pro)
  • Still quite sharp wide open and up to f/11
  • Corner sharpness is best at f/8-f/11
  • At f/16, sharpness starts to decrease
  • At f/22 and f/32, sharpness decreases significantly

Please find my photos below to form your own opinion.

Comments welcome!

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

f/16

f/22

f/32

BR,

Martin

-- hide signature --
 Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Venus Laowa 15mm F4 1:1 Macro
Wideangle mirror prime lens • Canon EF, L-Mount, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF2, Sony/Minolta Alpha, Sony FE
Announced: Jun 23, 2015
Rightsaidfred's score
Average community score
Fujifilm X-T20 Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow