Functional defects due to seawater - 70D

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Kevin Omura
Kevin Omura Senior Member • Posts: 2,326
Do not keep it in a bucket of water!

I know some might think this is an urban legend but when I worked in retail I actually encountered someone who did just this. They had dumped in a canoe but were told to keep the camera in a bucket of water until they got back to the city. (a week later).

Well when they plopped the bucket on the counter all I could see is brown rusty water, didn't have the heart to tell them that their camera was destroyed. I suggested they take it out to Canon to see if they could repair it, obviously not. And this was a film camera, imagine how destroyed a camera full of electronics would be after being submersed in water for a period of time.

Though the 7D has pretty decent water resistance it's not waterproof. That you washed and wiped it quickly probably helped and if its lasted this long I like the others would just keep using it until it died.

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +64 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow