1DXiii AF in U14 Women's Volleyball

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richardperson
richardperson Regular Member • Posts: 452
1DXiii AF in U14 Women's Volleyball

I tried to test out the head servo AF on some U14 women's volleyball this weekend.  Some disclaimers:

1) the teams at this tournament were not exceptional, so ball movement was erratic;

2) the teams where also not the tallest or most athletic at this level, so almost all action was behind or under the net

Having said that, the head AF through the viewfinder was hit and miss.  I tried it for quite some time before switching back to single point.   It seemed to do better when the player was very near the net--then it would often find them.  But, if they backed up, or you tried to get someone far behind the net, the camera would switch back and forth between the net and the player.  I will test it again at another tournament with taller and more athletic women, but at this level, the point AF was more useful.

Regarding the AF-on mouse, at first I found it frustrating as my AF point would end up in weird locations unintentionally.  But, after getting used to it, you can correct that quickly and it really is amazingly fast--to the point that with practice you could definitely use it live as part of sports action shooting.  One key is when you aren't trying to move it, keep your finger slightly pressed onto the button and it does not move.

FPS speed.  Can't say I noticed a difference between it and the 1DXii, but it's only 2fps faster.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow