Shimoda X30 - first impression

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Norwegian wood Forum Member • Posts: 72
Shimoda X30 - first impression

Having waited patiently to get myself a backpack that suits both daytrips with "normal sized" photogear with room for clothing, coffee and food, and as well works for weekly commuting, I have now settled with Shimodas new X30. I was not part of the Kickstarter, but the backpack is now available in Norway.

Im using a quite stealthy camera, the Nikon Z6 with 24-70/4; 50/1.8; 14-30/4. Additionally I pack some accessories and batteries. My Z's lenses fit perfectly standing, but a tele would need to lay down. See picture.

With room to spare. There are still space in the backpack to add a small camera insert. Dont have it, but will probably buy one if I feel the need for more camera gear.

My first impression is, wow. It really is a great product.

My thoughts and impression are as follows...

-It is stealthy, there is no way to read expensive photogear. It looks quite similar to other normal small backpacks. It doesnt shout photogear.

-Rolltop with additional 7 litres of storages space. Fantastic. I used this on a previous Arctryx backpack and it is very easy to use and those 7 litres come in handy when more clothing is necessary. Additionally Shimoda added the zip lock to the neck of the rolltop. Very easy and quick way to get into the pack without unrolling the top. That feature is brilliant.

-loops on all the right places. Say no more.

-laptop sleeve works fine with my 15" laptop from work. And I can also squeeze my sleeved iPad Pro 10.5" on top in the sleeve. Its tight, but works.

-Its not bigger than it also works for daily commuting to work. Have it on the bus, works like a charm as it doesnt protrude as much as many other photo backpacks. Its really thin, but I think the perfect size.

-expandable inner sack. Great to e.g. separate food and clothes. When the photo insert is in use you still got plenty of volume in that sack to add food, coffe, clothing, even without using the rolltop. But by additionally expanding the rolltop you will have enough space for all your needs and more. Well I cannot see any more volume is needed for a day hike. It might even work for a spartanic overnighter. See pictures.

Inner sack not expanded.

Here it is expanded.

-Not planned for, but an absolute bonus is the easy way to attach a Peak Design Leash strap onto the backpack over the shoulder straps to relief my neck being weight down by my camera. See picture.

Peak Design Leash strap works perfectly well with this backpack. Using existing loops on the X30 shoulderstraps it is very easy to route the Leash strap with no cutting or adjustments and make it work as a great way to carry camera or other gear on your chest. Easily available when you need it. I really like that.

-the X30 really is very comfortable. I have used it on a day hike, and I hardly felt I had it on. As it is not very deep, it is easy to go in the woods, between branches and over and under fallen trees, etc., without the backpack unnecessarily scratching into everything.

-I have not used it extensively yet, but the pack seem to be of outstanding quality. No less than any other backpack I have ever used. On the contrary, probably much better, maybe only bested by my old Arcteryx M40.

For longer hikes into the backcountry I would get the X70, but dayhikes and commuting is where X30 shines.

I highly recommend the Shimoda X30.

Norwegian wood's gear list:Norwegian wood's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow