I need help choosing a set of primes.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jay Anson Junior Member • Posts: 31
I need help choosing a set of primes.

I’m currently reevaluating my photography needs based on me doing a lot of walking and hiking and wanting to keep my kit as light as possible.

I’ve considered replacing my Canon full frame body for a mirrorless version and discounted that idea, mainly because I don’t want to spend more money on a second body and also through having no intention of selling my existing camera or kit to pay for it.

My solution is to use the full frame body with primes.

I’ve been a hobby photographer for quite a few years and know a bit about primes so I’m not looking for advice in the use of, but I do want to get other member opinions on what primes they use when out and about day tripping and hiking.

I’m not interested in the L grade prime glass as it’s too heavy. It is for my needs at least, although I’d love to hear your ideas about the Canon/ Sigma branded wider and closer focus primes than my current 40mm 2.8 that I use for general walkabout photography.

I'm also contemplated a 50mm 1.8 for using as a close up lens, food shots for example, although seeing little difference between that and the 40mm in terms of FOV and bokeh. Anyone have both these lenses and use them for different purposes or do you think they're just too similar to each other to need both?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow