Fuji Old School -- Velvia is so good

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adamant Contributing Member • Posts: 797
Fuji Old School -- Velvia is so good

(Warning: This post contains no sensor, flippy screen, IBIS, or camera size content.)

Just got back from a wilderness trip where I shot nothing but Velvia on my X-H1.  With all the new cameras and new film sims, it's easy to forget just how great the original batch of sims was.

I've rarely shot a batch of photos that (a) took so little tweaking of the jpegs and (b) were so well-received by friends and on social media.  Velvia is crap for skin tones, but -- true to form -- it's just wonderful for landscapes.  The saturation and color grading are spot-on, but the gradation and color roll-off are the real showstoppers. There is a richness and beauty to the images that reminds me of why I switched to Fuji in the first place.

A friend shot a Canon 5DIII on the same trip.  He's a very skilled photographer, but his photos just look lifeless in comparison.  I realize this is down to his choices of post-processing.  Obviously a 5DIII can deliver almost any kind of images you want.  But the fact is that he didn't deliver beautiful images in the end, whereas it was almost child's play with Fuji/Velvia.  If you can, tune out the current noise and go take some pictures with the wonderful Fuji cameras and lenses you already own.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow