Where do gray market cameras and lenses actually come from?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,477
Re: Where do gray market cameras and lenses actually come from?

kokopuffs wrote:

Let's please put an end to this thread after my following statement:
About a month ago I ordered from ebay a brand new Zeiss Milvus f1/4 35mm lens with ZF.2 mount. The circular sticker on the side of the box reads: QUALITY SEAL Official Zeiss warranty exclusively for ASIA.......

After having sent an email and phone call to Zeiss here in the USA, Zeiss stated (I'll paraphrase) that they'll repair the lens anytime at any Zeiss facility. But (my words) anything under warranty must come from an Asian address.

The expectation here is that because of the high Zeiss quality, a warranty repair shouldn't be needed nor expected for this lens that is fully manual and therefore I may well have save a few hundred $$'s on the purchase price. This last statement is the reason that many people purchase grey market items: that warranty servicing won't be needed.

That's not the case here in Hong Kong..that my Zeiss lenses bought from other countries enjoy the same excellent services from local dealer, a rarity .

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +73 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow