Old push/pull zoom, slow moving aperture--worth it to DIY fix?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
canonbcguy Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Old push/pull zoom, slow moving aperture--worth it to DIY fix?

I have an old no-name push-pull zoom. I noticed that it has a sticky diaphragm. It works but moves in almost slow motion. The OM-1 I'd like to use it on will keep a lens at max aperture for framing and focusing and flick the aperture to its desired setting just before taking the shot. With the sticky blades, the lens won't get there (I suspect) and I'll likely get an overexposure.

If I do the awkward procedure of pressing down on the DoF preview for a second, giving time for the aperture to close down, and then release the shutter, I guess it will be ok. But again, it'd be annoying.

How much work would it be to fix it myself?

I'm wondering if I could take all the glass elements out and leave the diaphragm in the lens and then drown it in solvent of some kind (I heard I could use lighter fluid) to flush it out (small drops, totally wetting the mechanism, hoping the solvent would disolve the oil and then carry it away), opening and closing it many times while it's being flushed.  I think an aperture assembly is too difficult to take apart and put back together, which is why I'm thinking of doing it this way.

I have all kinds of tiny screwdrivers. And I'm fairly mechanically inclined. But I'm too old (eyes not that good; hands not that steady) to do fine surgery.

canonbcguy's gear list:canonbcguy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +38 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow