The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

Started Feb 16, 2020 | Discussions thread
ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,428
Re: According to specs...

GatanoII wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

GatanoII wrote:

DuxX wrote:

GatanoII wrote:

also 5DmkV will be much above 5DmkIV

Are you sure that there will be 5D mkV?

If the R5 is so much better than anyone can expect maybe Canon will push all 5D customers to buy the R5 once they upgrade ... but Canon will still want to be the number one for the people that prefer the optical viewfinder over anything, so at some point there will be the 5DmkV.

I'm not sure we'll ever see a 5D Mark V.

All the people that wanted video would move to the R5 without question. The R5 just with the EVF alone is reason enough for that. Studio shooters with eyeAF? I doubt many would stick with the 5D. Same with wedding,etc - you're left with the people that just have problems with EVF. Canon wants everyone to move over .. gradually or quickly as they progress with their craft.

It's a huge user base to sway to move - Canon with the FD mount came out with excellent AF and amazing lens technology: IS and USM to sway the FD users. Sure some got left behind because they refused to go.. but the majority of them moved.

You're going to see the same thing happen here.

that's an option ... but as Canon did come with the Eos M6II and the 90D at the same time, I don't see them to change this habit very soon, this time the R5 will come out before the 5DMkV, the next R5II will instead probably not have a sibling D5mkVI, so I agree with your point, but it's not happening just today, Canon will give us at least another generation of new DSLR including a new 5D.

BTW I'll switch to mirrorless as soon as Canon gives us something that is almost better on any aspect over any previous DSLR, probably this R5 will be the one (or better the R5s if this comes out before September), but I'm sure not anyone is ready to give up the optical viewfinder, I'm ready to sacrifice the viewfinder as the AF will be more precise and this is enough for me, for some others it will not be enough yet, and I bet Canon wants also this kind of customers.

It makes sense that they will make a 5DmkV.  EVF isn't that good yet.  Once they eliminate lag, then all people will be willing to use a LCD to frame instead of glass.  Right now people like OVF as much as others like EVF.

Didn't they invent autopilot eye tracking because the photographer couldn't track that well with a laggy EVF?  The solution wasn't to make EVF real time fast like an OVF so the photographer could track better,... but to pass off the subject tracking task to the computer.

The DSLR does a good job of giving you the best of EVF and OVF since it can do live view tracking (same EVF data and autopilot tracking) while a mirrorless camera just can't do any form of OVF.

I didn't care what viewfinder was on the camera but I have recently ran into issues tracking running animals with EVF.  OVF is looking better and better to me.  5DmkV and an EF 100-400 as a solution?

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

 ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow