Canon 5D mark IV Live View shutter modes clarification

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marc dbr
Marc dbr Regular Member • Posts: 349
Canon 5D mark IV Live View shutter modes clarification

I mostly use my 5DIV in Live View, this is extremely convenient with 85 f1.4 and 35 f1.4 primes both because of face tracking and more accurate focussing.

My understanding is that under the menu "Silent LV shooting" the shutter mode can be set to Mode 1, Mode 2 and Disable. I may be wrong about this but I think Mode 1 and 2 are using Electronic Front Curtain Shutter (EFCS) but I don't know what disable actually does...

Now I am happy to use EFCS because of the elimination of shutter vibration but I ave seen that on Sony and Fuji mirrorless cameras the EFCS setting reduces the aperture by about a stop compared to mechanical or electronic shutter modes. Does this mean that with the thousands of portraits I took in Live View the aperture of the actual photos was less than f1.4?

I have seen in the manual of the 1DXIII that the shutter modes are displayed more clearly with the standard choices: Mechanical, EFCS, Electronic. In that case I would opt for mechanical most of the time, I think there is no option for this on the 5DIV.

-- hide signature --
 Marc dbr's gear list:Marc dbr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow