Wait, do I hate OLED viewfinders?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sam Bennett
Sam Bennett Veteran Member • Posts: 4,551
Wait, do I hate OLED viewfinders?

One of the things I really dislike with my PEN-F vs. the original E-M1 is the viewfinder. I never cared to explore why, since I mainly use the rear screen when shooting the PEN-F (where typically I use the viewfinder on the E-M1) but recently it occurred to me that maybe the reason is because it's an OLED? To me, the image has never felt "natural" to me, which I attributed maybe to a low refresh rate? I've tried the A7 III and liked that OLED viewfinder, so maybe it's not the underlying technology...? Any thoughts on this? Maybe Olympus is on to something with sticking with LCD for the E-M1X and E-M1 Mark III?

EDIT: I just tested the two viewfinders back-to-back, and clearly the PEN-F viewfinder is more clear, likely with a higher refresh rate and is definitely crisper during a tracking/moving shot. But there is still something unsettling about it that I can't explain. 😂

-- hide signature --
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow