My next step - OMD 5.3 or Pen F

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Edward Lowy
Edward Lowy Regular Member • Posts: 230
My next step - OMD 5.3 or Pen F

Hi folks, I wonder if I could ask for your views.

My digital DNA started with an E500 -> E510 and then into m43 with an EPL2 and for the last 7 years or so an EP5. I live in the UK and typically take family / holidays / family event type of shots.

Low point was probably the E500, the other cameras in their own ways I have really enjoyed and got - for a rank amateur - some wonderful digital memories.

My sister has just moved from Panasonic to an OMD 5.3 and it is a lovely thing and of course it gives me an itch to scratch.

Apart from a couple of Canon compacts years ago, I have really only been an Olympus kind of guy - two reasons (1) it keeps choices simpler (2) my Dad bought an OM1 all those years ago and when I was younger, I so admired it's look, build and compactness, all characteristics that epitomise m43 today. I see no reason, for my purposes, to stray outside of m43. The lenses I use most are all Oly - 45 f1.8 / 25 f1.8 / 12 f2. I have a 75-300, it is the lens I least enjoy, the 45 when I got it was a revelation.

Using the EP5 over many years now, particularly with a compact prime, it is very unobtrusive and - I think - I have got some good shots because it does not intimidate in any way. No hump = no problem?

Am tempted with a new OMD 5.3 (around £999 in the UK at the moment) - clearly a very competent piece of kit. When I sit it alongside my EP5 (with VF2 viewfinder), the 5.3 is every bit as compact and of course it has the latest tech.

On the other hand, I would probably have bought a PEN F sometime back if the prices were more reasonable. I have found a couple on eBay with shutter actuations around 2,000 in very decent condition for about £650. I can buy new from the Netherlands for about £860.

What to do folks? My guess is that the majority of "better" in both the 5.3 and the F are the 20 mp sensor when compared to my EP5. Am sure the 5.3 will do some peripheral things better / faster / smarter, but do I need best / fastest / smartest in reality?

My ideal would be a PEN F2, but I just don't see Olympus doing that and think that the F may well be end of line for this style of camera. I could of course just stay as I am!

TIA

Edward

Edward Lowy's gear list:Edward Lowy's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus PEN E-PL2 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow