Nikon Z6 - best FF mirrorless ? third time lucky ...

Started Feb 20, 2020 | Discussions thread
HFLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,974
Re: Bit harsh on the new AF

MichaelHK wrote:

HFLM wrote:

cardamom wrote:

My friend believe it’s even better than A9 Sony

AF wise? One can believe a lot of things, lol.

The A9 has d5 level AF. The Nikon Zs don't, claiming otherwise is _ridiculous_, sorry to say that. Just read the threads here where people use the Z for BIF and compare against D500 etc. No competition (I used and tested the d5).

The Nkon Z has a lot to like, but one should stay realistic.

BIFers are overrated. They complain about initial snap which may be true (I don't shoot birds) but it is 1 use-case.

Most people can't afford a D5/A9 either. I used D500 for sports before getting the Z6 and I didn't miss it. Even the D5 limits your focus in the center of the frame. The last event I shoot with Z6 for fighting sports in hotel ballroom (iso8000+F/2ish+1/1250) got pretty much 100% in focus shots with fw2.2 on af-c dynamic. I never got that much with D500.

With face and eye tracking like this, I think firmware 3 is fully on par or better than the A73.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXvNBZLLYU

I am not so sure, the videos I saw don't look convincing (reg. FW 3.0) and clearly different to what I am used to with Sony, therefore I am not convinced. However, I don't really care and don't want to split hairs over this or that. If it works for your use case and you are happy, that is all that counts.

HFLM's gear list:HFLM's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow