LiveView with Facedetect K-1 and KP after latest firmwares

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 1,465
LiveView with Facedetect K-1 and KP after latest firmwares

When I was using my K-1 the other day for those photos from my daughter's birthday that I posted, I was using it mostly in LV because of the tricky lighting in the place.  It was a slow and tedious process at times.

I was working through some thoughts and gear and ideas, and I noticed while tweaking the LV options that there was a face detect option.  Not expecting much I decided to run both the K-1 and KP through from tests using the FaceDetect and a variety of my more portrait oriented lenses.

I honestly was expecting utter failure, at least compared to the FaceDetect of my Panasonic G-9.  But honestly, the FaceDetect on both was really, really impressive to me.  It really does a good job, and honestly, sometimes picks up the face quicker than the G-9 does.  This is especially true when using the D-FA* 50 1.4.

I wonder what this might mean for the upcoming K-new, and I also wonder what a lens like the DA 20-40 or the latest DA* 11-18 would do using FaceDetect?

First up, the K-1 tests with the D-FA* 50 1.4

Here is the KP and D-FA* 50, notice how sharp around the eyes it is, you can see the glitter makeup around her eyes!

I also did a quick test using the KP and the FA 31 and 77

Please feel free to share any experiences with LV with the latest firmwares or facedetect features.

Mike

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +6 more
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow