Zoom advice

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sstoy Regular Member • Posts: 129
Zoom advice

Hello,

this is advice for my septuagenarian father. He currently owns a Nikon full frame dslr kit with a few tele and normal zooms and a 50mm.
While he enjoys taking pictures (birds / wildlife, travel architecture/landscape , some candids) he has essentially stopped bringing his gear and now admits it’s because it’s too big/inconvenient to bother bringing. 
i have an extra em5ii and My plan is to let him use/borrow/have it to see if m43 is a system that he enjoy vs maybe he’s just not into photography any more.

i have panny 100-300i I was going to loan him, along with the olympus 25 1.8. I’m trying to figure out what to have him use in the standard / super zoom range. I am looking at the following options:

lumix 12-60 2.8-4.0
Lumix 12-60 3.5-5.6

lumix 14-140 3.5-5.6ii

olympus 14-150 4.0-5.6ii

tamron 14-150

olympus 12-100

Olympus 12-200

Priorities are: image quality & portability and flexibility first. Niceties would be weather sealing and speed, but would be secondary to the first three (they are unlikely to be hiking in rain or dark as often, but of course the option is always nice). Cost isn’t a factor as he would sell his much more expensive Nikon kit if he likes it.

just an example of what I mean from the above: the 12-100 gets amazing reviews for quality, but it’s also considered rather big and heavy, as such I think something less fast but smaller would be taken along more often if the image quality held up.   I’m open to more than the above btw.

thank you!

Sean

sstoy's gear list:sstoy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +8 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow