Nikon Z6 - best FF mirrorless ? third time lucky ...

Started Feb 20, 2020 | Discussions thread
HFLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,974
Re: Bit harsh on the new AF

sgoldswo wrote:

Picky, but not convinced Nikon is 3rd for AF anymore. It's better than my A7RIII at least.

Not my experience. I trust the Sony for pro work (weddings), not so much the Nikon wrt AF. And if you consider the A9, the Canon R and Nikon Z are clearly behind wrt AF. Very clearly.

Nikon improved AF via firmware updates, but so did Canon. The R is quite good now, too. If the R5 is improving on that similarly to what the 1dxiii is showing now, Canon will be very strong in mirrorless, in my opinion, they have some fantastic new lenses, too.

All that doesn't mean those cams aren't usable at all, far from it. Nikon put in two very good sensors, has some nice f1.8 primes, but I am interested in f1.2 or f1.4 primes and so far Nikon is slower on that front. I used Nikon and Canon professionally before moving to Sony and am very happy with this decision. Nevertheless my gut feeling is that Canon will make a big splash with the R5 given what I have seen from the 1dxiii and will remain N.1 in camera companies.

HFLM's gear list:HFLM's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow