24-70 f/2.8 vs. Gimbal, External Monitor, Mic, etc.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BobTheH New Member • Posts: 2
24-70 f/2.8 vs. Gimbal, External Monitor, Mic, etc.

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my Nikon D7200 DSLR to a full-frame mirrorless camera in a month or two. I have been doing landscape photography and now want to embark on filmmaking/cinematography (travels). Basically, I would still be doing landscape photography, travel filmmaking/cinematography, a little portraits, and family events. No professional work here (for now), just a beginner wanting to get into and stay in the hobby.

I'm looking at a budget of U$ 3,300.00 in addition to the proceeds of the sale of some of my existing equipment. With that, I would have either of these 2 options at the end of the day:

Nikon Z6 Filmmaker's Kit:
Nikon Z6 body
Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4
Moza Air 2
Atomos Ninja V
Rode VideoMicPro+
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g (existing lens)
Yongnuo flash (existing equipment)

-or-

Sony A7iii
Sony A7iii body
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
*Savings up to $1,000

with this, it's basically: 24-70mm f/2.8 lens vs. Moza Air 2, Atomos Ninja V, Rode VideoMic Pro+, 50mm f/1.8 lens, and flash.
and which system is somehow future proof for at least 3 more years?

My thoughts here:

1. If I choose Sony, I can still buy the Moza Air 2, and 50mm f/1.8 lens using the $1,000 savings, if I do really need them.
2. Nikon bundle would be ok as I wouldn't need the f/2.8 aperture that much anyway. If I need one, I still have my existing 50mm f/1.8 lens.
3. I don't see how the Rode VideoMicPro+ would be useful to me. At least for now.

4. Atomos Ninja V seems to be a luxury for a beginner like me. Or not?

This is just me, a beginner in the hobby, thinking out loud. What are your thoughts on this? Would you choose the f/2.8 lens over the other equipment I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow