Just remapped 5700's CCD.....

Started Oct 15, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dave Van Patten Senior Member • Posts: 1,134
Just remapped 5700's CCD.....

After much reading, thought and nail-biting, I just completed what I think was a successful remap of my 5700. I'd like to share the details while they're fresh in my head. Last night I downloaded cpixmap.exe v0.14 from the Russian fellow's sight and tried to run it (after un-zipping of course.) It would not connect to the camera with the way I had hooked it up. I figured that the camera should be on in order to be recognized by the USB. That was the wrong order of things. Connect the (turned off) camera to a USB port (using the little cable supplied by Nikon, THEN turn the camera on. At this point, Windows pops up a "new hardware found" box and asks for drivers. The next part of the struggle was locating the right ".inf" that it wanted. I pointed it to the "trial version" CD of Nikon View and it didn't seem to see what it wanted. After clicking "back" about two dozen times and trying to navigate through every subdirectory on the CD, my computer froze up causing me to re-boot. LOL! This time, I put my "trial version" of Nikon Capture in a CD drive and had another go at it. Camera was already hooked up and switched off. I turned it on and Poof!, the "new hardware found" was back. This time it seemed to find what it was looking for. (Actually loaded two .inf files I believe.) Now, I ran cpixmap.exe and it connected to the camera on the first try! Important side note: Before running the program, the camera must have the proper USB protocol to match your computer's OS. Check page 143 of the 5700's manual for your needs. (Mine was "mass storage".) Anyway, the little program was running and had communicated with my camera! I clicked "read pixels" and watched a bad pixel counter go up while a percent progress counter slowly marched toward 100%. This part took about 5 minutes. It reported exactly 512 bad pixels, the maximum number that the remap table can contain. I read that somewhere, an old thread here, I believe. I held my breath and clicked "REMAP" knowing that I might end up needing to send my baby to Nikon if I muffed it up. There was no turning back. No second chance. The program was remapping my CCD right before my eyes. It was then that my eyes noticed that the battery indicator was now reading half-full. Experience was taught me that by the time the camera thinks the battery is half full, IT'S NEARLY EMPTY. Wouldn't that be a great time for the battery to quit? Half way through a remap? My anxiety didn't last long though. A few seconds later, the program told me that it had finished doing the remap. Nothing left to do now except click the close "X". Time to take some lens-cap-on test shots. My 8 sec shot still contained a few blue and green ones. Nowhere near as bad as the big pink blossom that had been appearing in recent shots even in daylight (ISO 100, 1/500 sec.) My next test shot, two seconds, lens cap on, was COMPLETELY CLEAN! I realize that the longer the camera is on, the warmer the CCD becomes, and the more likely a hot pixel will show up. But for now, I feel like I've done a good thing. Deep breath exhaled.

Does anybody else want to share their remap stories?
--
Thanks for reading......keep on clicking!
Dave
NIKON Fifty-Seven Hundred
PBASE Supporter

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
baw
baw
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow