90D in my oppinion a better 80D

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rocket13 Senior Member • Posts: 2,489
90D in my oppinion a better 80D

Hello all I bought my 90D in December because my beloved 80D was getting up there in shutter count and wanted to move it to back up. I love my 80D so much I was just going to buy another. But alas the updated sensor of the 90D looked interesting even though i do not print a ton I figure some extra mega pixels couldn't hurt.

I do shoot a lot of bird in flight shots and some of the reviews had me a bit nervous but I figured I would test for myself and if I wasnt happy I would just return it.

Once I received the 90D I set the auto focus up exactly like I had my 80D and headed out, I tested with 9 point AF with Birds in flight against busy backgrounds and had no issues locking focus with mt Tamron 100-400 G2 even though I had read that could be an issue. Next I tested with my Tamron 150-600 G1 as I had read that the camera out resolves old lenses, I did have to do MFA on that lens but I did on my 80D as well.

After the MFA the lens works very well in my opinion of course not L glass well but very usable shots in my untrained opinion.

A couple things I love about the 90D compared to my 80D, Faster shutter speeds, I can let the iso fly. I have several images with iso's as high as 5000 and some even at 6400 that are quite usable with light work in Light room. I also feel that the 90D pulls out a little more detail from my older glass. I am adding a few examples with 150-600 and 100-400.

Tamron 150-600 g1

Iso 5000 9 point AF busy background

Tamron 100-400 G2 Hand Held

Rocket13's gear list:Rocket13's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6 Canon EOS 90D
Canon EOS 90D
33 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Aug 28, 2019
Rocket13's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
unrated
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow