The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

Started Feb 16, 2020 | Discussions thread
Noogy
Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,350
Re: The EOS R5 is the mirrorless 5D mkV (and the R6 is the 6DIII)

David Hull wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

GatanoII wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

Do you know about the new Canon fab? Is it TSMC in Taiwan. TSMC has a stacked CMOS fab process for making sensors very similar to that of Sony. Using this stack CMOS fab which has been working well since 2016 would give them enough time to quickly come to market with parity in sensor manufacturing as Sony. Sony was the pioneer that proved the value of stack CMOS assembly in achieving very high sensor scan rates with wide dynamic range, Do you have a link for Canon's use of a new fab?

I know they have a new fab , but I can't remember where I did read it, but in the announcement it's clear they have something that's new and advanced, Canon words:

"Canon’s EOS R5, the first of the next generation of full-frame mirrorless cameras planned for EOS R System, will include a newly developed CMOS sensor. The new sensor will enable enhanced features ..."

I always assumed they would develop their own stacked CMOS fab but it is far from easy to so. A lot of the know how is available in Japan but it would take time and of course lots of money to do this. However, stacked CMOS fabs are useful for many new kinds of devices other than high end mirror-less cameras so if they built their own fab there would be plenty of use for it.

No need to develop their own fab, there are fabs for hire.

Yep, Intel, Samsung, TSMC fabs are not operating at full capacities. Those options make it cheaper to outsource.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow