first 2 days with 1dx3

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
fal Junior Member • Posts: 45
first 2 days with 1dx3

I have owned all the 1D models except 1dx2.  I still have the 1dx and 1d4,

The customization took a bit longer than expected, but once set up the camera is very easy to use.

Shooting:

It feels like all the other 1D bodies and the buttons are easily accessible.

The autofocus 'head' tracking is terrific, but haven't tested it in a sports situation--that will have to wait until the end of March.  In general the tracking is dead on, but sometimes the focus point isn't where I expected---probably due center point expansion.

Point selection using the 'AF  on' button is a bit too sensitive, very convenient, but will take time getting used to it.

In general the auto focus is very fast and quite accurate---I have tested it with Canon's; 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and 100-400 (all the latest versions).  I haven't refined the focus yet, which will have to wait.

The shutter seems much quieter than earlier bodies---I have only used VOF.

I know others have complained about the visibility of the info in the VF, but it didn't seem to be a problem in various lighting situations, indoors and out.

I haven't tried it  with flash yet, so I can't comment on that.

Raw processing;

I have tried, DPP, Adobe Raw, and dng conversion into Capture One.

DPP gives the most satisfying results, but all 3 are usable at low ISO's.  At high ISO's, say above 6400, all but DPP gave noisy, mushy pictures, but I have very little experience with adobe raw and its conversion to dng.  Capture one is my preferred conversion software and have been using it for years, but it will have to wait until it will support mk 3.  Unfortunately, DPP seems to be very clunky to use as I have to process over 100 images per sitting, for proofing, with a very short turnaround.

I have an indoor event on Tuesday, in which I will select ~150 pictures for proofing, so I will probably leave the MK3 behind and wait for the software to catch up and hopefully I will be able to use it for spring sports.

Last; the in-camera jpegs are not bad at all ISO's, that I tested, but they don't fit into my workflow.  I haven't done extensive testing yet and there is much to learn about this body and hope that it is worth the expense.

I don't feel that I have to be the first one to have a new toy, but I guess I felt deprived having skipped the MK2, so if you can wait, I suggest a bit of time will let all the issues resolve themselves.

fal's gear list:fal's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fal
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow