M10 Monochrom Interest?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
BostonBoy
BostonBoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,775
Re: M10 Monochrom Interest?

BostonBoy wrote:

Bags27 wrote:

BostonBoy wrote:

Here is one more than I posted either here or on a different forum, I can't remember.

It's shot at ISO 10.000. The Metal Structures still looks like Metal. Noise - yes, but still very crisp with a lots of details. It's amazing really - even when compared to my D5 (totally different animal, I know).

Amazing tonality. And sure, completely surrender to the dark side and get the 50!

Do you know Sean Reid's discussion of base ISO on the M10M? IIRC (too lazy to check), I think he determines it at ~600 rather than 160, the latter being for him a pull. He argues that a higher base is actually advantageous. Certainly, if the upper usable ISO is suddenly 50k, it explains how the M10M has expanded by a couple of stops usable ISO rather than by several stops, which would be a rather dramatic improvement.

Wonder what your experience is. I see your first posted photo is at 160. Wonder what 160 and 640 look like in comparison.

Interesting. No, I'm not aware of that discussion and having looked in detail into the difference of base ISO (160) and ISO 640. To be honest I have not seen much difference, but I have not looked in detail just yet.

Is this discussion actually implying the new 40 MP Chip is a dual gain design as well? That would indicate some kind of "step" in the ISO vs. Dynamic Range chart, would it not? (I'm not an expert). However, I did see Bill Claff's PhotonToPhoto Chart earlier today which indeed indicate some kind of small step at 566(?) ISO: http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#FujiFilm%20GFX%20100(FF),Leica%20M10%20MONOCHROM,Leica%20M10-P

I will have another look and do some test shots myself at similar lighting conditions but range of ISOs and see if I can see any difference. Not sure my tests have any validity or accuracy though (although I'm an engineer, so I tend to start digging in).

Thanks for the advice on the 50mm F2 APO ASPH. I have a Noctilux (V3), the Voigtländer F1.2 and also an older Summarit I got cheap. There can never be enough 50mm lenses floating around, right?! Right?!

One more thing: I don't have enough experience with the new camera yet, but I did notice the tendency to blow some highlights once in a while. It's like you need to dial down the exposure a little, but so far I have assumed it's the wrong metering mode on my end (e.g. Low IQ User Error). I have added a (yellow) filter now and see if it makes any difference.

But if what you are saying is right, then it might just be that the sensor is indeed very sensible to light and I have to manually protect highlights a little better and pull up in post.

BostonBoy's gear list:BostonBoy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow